Apr 12, 2009

Battle Preparations

Machine,

In the few days left before we end or extend our season, we each have the power to influence the outcome of this tournament. What you do in the next few days will impact pool play, the crossover, the bracket, and the game to go. Each man must find his own way to prepare his mind and body for these challenges. Here is what I will be doing.

Monday: Half-tabata workout, partner throwing
Tuesday: Scrimmage vs CHS
Wednesday: Quick explosive workout, swim, stretch
Thursday: Practice
Friday: highlight videos, 3-man marking drill, yoga

8 hours of sleep each night, a big mean salad each day, lean protein and complex carbs. But because this game is mental as well as physical, I will be preparing my mind as well. Relaxing, allowing the memories and regrets of the past to dissolve, giving my attention to the things that I can control--the water I drink, the food I eat, the uniform I lay out ahead of time. The time I wake up on Saturday, the music I listen to before warmups, and the effort I put into my warmups. The way I extend my hands to catch the disc. The options I look for on the field, the throwing choices I make, the way I step out and how I throw. The energy I put into my cuts, the direction in which I look, and the way I seal off my defender with my body. The way I position my hips on defense, the way I look at his thrower, the way I stay on my toes and the way I always choose to work harder. The way I help my teammates from the sideline, the trust I put in each of them, the way I respond to bad calls or aggressive play. These are all things I can control. These things are what I will be focusing on during the week, as I'm visualizing the weekend, and they are what I will be focusing on from warmups on Saturday to the cool-down on Sunday. My focus. My effort.

Do that, trust your teammates to do the same, and we will be successful.

No comments: